Keen industry solutions for retailers and consumer-facing businesses across North America
Our multidisciplinary team works with high-profile merchants, retailers and financial institutions and payment service providers. Supported by our Retail & Consumer Markets and Financial Services teams, we collaborate with you, applying our exhaustive experience to provide you superior support in the structuring, negotiation and ongoing management of credit card, gift card and loyalty programs.
Reputation for success
When working with our team, clients leverage our astute awareness of the regulatory and consumer concerns relevant to credit card, gift card and loyalty programs. Drafting more merchant-side contracts for loyalty and credit card programs than any other firm in Canada, you receive support across the diverse range of issues affecting such programs. We advise leading North American and international retailers, financial institutions and payment service providers in structuring and implementing loyalty, prepaid card and credit card program agreements, negotiating agreements with card networks, and managing technology, commercial, consumer privacy and data protection issues.
Acting for prominent merchants and banks across the country, our experience includes:
- Advising several large North American retailers on the negotiation and implementation of their co-branded credit card programs
- Negotiating significant amendments to a retailer’s co-branded credit card program agreements in the context of an acquisition
- Advising a cross-border department store on the implementation of its loyalty program
- Advising a Canadian chartered bank in all aspects of its prepaid card program, including the cardholder agreement, disclosure/packaging requirements, AML and CDIC deposit insurance requirements.
- Reviewing and advising a Canadian credit union on the terms and conditions pertaining to its reloadable credit card program, including advising on the cardholder agreement and fees.
- Advising a mobile wallet provider on its user agreement, co-brand agreement for a virtual prepaid credit card, and agreement for the distribution of virtual prepaid gift cards in the mobile wallet.
- Acting for a large institutional owner of major Canadian retail shopping malls in developing a prepaid card with a major credit card issuer.
Loyalty, prepaid card and credit card programs have long-term implications. You bring your challenges; we’ll bring the sustainable solutions.