Reinforcement for your important projects
A project’s success - whether in the oil and gas, energy, infrastructure, mining, power, or IT sectors - relies heavily on legal counsel’s ability to understand and anticipate all the issues and mitigate risk. From our unmatched experience with project development, finance, acquisition and disposition, and ongoing, day-to-day advice, we construct novel and practical solutions to help our industry-leading clients achieve their business objectives. Our clients depend on our Projects leadership to insure results, across Canada and around the world.
Plan, execute and operate with confidence
Consistently rated top-tier for projects and project finance, clients succeed through our ability to mobilize an integrated team with specialized expertise in relevant sectors and practice areas for the best possible results. Proponents and lenders, EPC contractors, domestic and international commercial banks, institutional lenders, export credit agencies, international financial institutions, development banks, regulatory bodies and governmental agencies all depend on us for a holistic, multi-disciplinary team approach to major project work.
Global Projects Map
Our lawyers have acted on many varied and complex projects, both in Canada and around the world. From Energy and Mining to Transportation and Infrastructure, clients look to us for our top-tier expertise. Below is a representative sample of our experience in assisting clients on developing, building, financing, permitting, supplying, operating or decommissioning significant capital projects.
You can count on us to harness the full power of the firm to address your specific needs from project finance to real estate, technology, capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, competition, construction, infrastructure, transportation, oil and gas, mining & metals, energy, power, environmental, labour and employment, aboriginal issues, litigation, taxation and procurement. We navigate everything from project planning, joint ventures and structuring to governance, financing, concessions, licensing, permitting, exit solutions, reclamations and end of project life considerations.
Clients leverage our diverse experience with domestic and international projects in China, Africa, Latin America, Asia, the Middle East and North America to ensure delivery of daily milestones while they monitor the big picture - and the bottom line. Notable examples include our lawyers having advised on:
- The single largest infrastructure financing in Canadian history - the $5 billion Muskrat Falls bond issuance - acting on behalf of TD Securities and Goldman Sachs as underwriters
- The Toronto 2015 Pan/Para Pan American Games Athletes’ Village Project - a high-profile, LEED® Gold-certified project that implemented Waterfront Toronto’s award-winning precinct plan for the West Don Lands area
- The C$6 billion natural gas transportation system from northern B.C. to Prince Rupert - a partnership between Spectra and BG Group which will enable B.C. to access new markets, strengthen its energy infrastructure, engage stakeholders in economic growth and job creation, and ultimately secure the province’s position as a competitive energy leader
- Phase 1C of Centre for Addiction and Mental Health’s (CAMH) Queen Street Redevelopment Project
- The acquisition of 48.25% of Birmingham International Airport in the United Kingdom by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and Victoria Funds Manager
- The US$2 billion 144A Reg S bond and US$4.7 billion bank financing of the EMAL Aluminium smelter project in Abu Dhabi - a project which was awarded “Middle East Manufacturing Deal of the Year” by Project Finance Magazine and “Industrial Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International
- The successful bid for the La Guardia Terminal B Redevelopment in New York by Vantage Airport Group, the leader of a proponent team
- The C$617.5 million refinancing of Seigneurie de Beaupré Wind Farms 2 and 3 in Quebec
- The Amended and Restated Bruce Power Refurbishment Implementation Agreement with the Province of Ontario to provide power until at least 2065
- The development of GoviEx Uranium Inc.’s Madaouela Uranium Project - an advanced-stage uranium project being developed near Arlit in north-central Niger
Whatever your project, let us bring the experience, insight, and practical approach to support your success.
IFLR1000: Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Tier 1 – Project Finance
Chambers Global: World's Leading Lawyers for Business
Projects: PPP & Infrastructure
Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business
Projects: PPP & Infrastructure
The Legal 500 - Canada
Tier 1 - Infrastructure and Projects
Infrastructure Journal League Tables
Infrastructure, Projects and Transactions
Projects & Energy: Mining & Minerals
Projects: PPP & Infrastructure - Leading Firm
North America Rail Deal of the Year: Hurontario LRT
North America Transmission Deal of the Year: Wataynikaneyap Power Transmission Project
North America Utility Deal of the Year: ESAP Modernisation Project
North America Rail Deal of the Year: Finch West LRT Project
North America Roads Deal of the Year: Gordie Howe International Bridge Project
North America Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year: Royal Inland Hospital Patient Care Tower Project