Senior Project Manager
May 08, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position can be based out of Toronto, Montreal, Calgary or Vancouver. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As a Senior Project Manager, you will be:
Managing Projects and Project teams
- Building and leading the project team by providing formalized work direction and leadership to project teams that may include external consultants, vendors, staff, associates and partners.
- Analyzing information and providing direction that considers project benefits, scope, cost, schedule and quality to meet the project objectives and commitments.
- Creating and executing project work plans, communication plans, change management plans, training plans, testing plans and roll-out plans and revising as appropriate through McCarthy Tétrault (MT) change control procedures.
- Gathering business and technical requirements for proposed projects and establishing appropriate project design through a full understanding of business requirements.
- Managing business priorities to complete project delivery within defined constraints.
- Identifying resources needed and assigning individual responsibilities; supporting and utilization of MT project resource management processes and tools.
- Managing day-to-day operational aspects of projects and/or programs including scope and deliverables.
- Applying MT and industry best practice project management methodology effectively, utilizing MT project management processes and tools to enforce project standards and meet requirements for MT PMO reporting.
- Identifying potential project risks and developing an appropriate risk management plan, ensuring timely response and escalation of issues that can lead to unexpected changes in time, quality, scope and budget.
- Working closely and maintaining strong work relationships with stakeholders and sponsors from all functional areas of business.
- Developing, maintaining and archiving project documentation, including the project plan, periodic reports, schedule, issues, quality and risk documents.
- Conducting appropriate project meetings, including Project Kickoff, Team and Steering Committee meetings.
- Developing and delivering presentations and communications throughout the project life cycle, as necessary.
- Ensuring sufficient communication is taking place, at an appropriate level of detail, to keep stakeholders appropriately aware of project statuses.
- May be assisting Business Analysts with identification of business requirements, integration needs, baseline metrics, feasibility studies and cost benefit analyses.
- Providing and maintaining accurate project forecasts for budget, resources and schedules.
- Documenting lessons learned and facilitating their translation into ‘Best Practices’.
Project and Portfolio Management Practices and Capabilities
- Providing basic project management training, coaching and mentoring for project team members.
- Identifying and recommending enhancements to the project management methodology and toolset.
- Encouraging the use of appropriate and effective project management practices.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- 10+ years of hands on project management experience is required.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Project Management Institute (PMI) project management professional (PMP) certification.
- Elevated project management leadership capability as demonstrated in leading more complex initiatives that may include: significant financial investment, multiple vendors, geographically distributed project teams, project team comprised of multiple or diverse skillsets, senior stakeholder management, experience with program or portfolio management and different types and project sizes.
- Experience in process improvement or business process re-design projects.
- Experience guiding others through project processes, and influencing them without formal authority.
- Expertise in Organizational Change Management an asset.
- Demonstrated effective time management skills by leading multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated ability in carrying out complex work requirements while working autonomously to meet the needs of the project and timelines.
- Solid experience and understanding of technology initiatives.
- Consulting experience in a client-facing role – an asset.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation, and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.