The convergence of technology, media and law in today’s global economy means that businesses must take proactive steps to protect their clients, employees and themselves from data breaches that could cause irreparable damage to their reputation and leave them at risk, both financially and legally. Should a company experience a breach, swift, coordinated action is imperative.
Clients requiring immediate assistance with a data incident, or seeking advice to prevent such an incident, or otherwise address data and privacy issues count on McCarthy Tétrault’s integrated and multi-disciplinary Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection Group with their most sensitive and critical needs:
- We are the Canadian market-leader in advising clients on protecting themselves from data breaches and privacy problems as well as resolving incidents when they occur and mitigating negative outcomes.
- We advise clients on day-to-day issues in addition to complex and strategic legal challenges for clients with sophisticated global information networks.
- Our rapid response team leverages internal resources, existing partnerships and regulatory relationships to provide coordinated breach response advice (legal, strategic, reputational) that ensures a comprehensive and coordinated approach to breach management during the critical first 72 hours of a breach.
- Our lawyers are up-to-date on the latest judicial and policy changes (and in many cases, are involved directly in such changes) regarding the use and control of data in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. Since much of the legislation is driven from consumer concern, we advise clients on how to meet and exceed industry standards for personal information protection.
- We work with our multinational clients to address the specific challenges of complying with laws in various jurisdictions and implementing industry codes of conduct.
- We also advise on privacy compliance obligations across the country, as well as in international jurisdictions and on the transfer of data across borders.
For more information about our group, please McCarthy Tétrault’s website.